Thursday, April 06, 2006

Any more Pie?

Forget the overpriced tickets, the sanitised atmosphere, the jesters, Sky taking over kick off times, the biggest problem with top flight football in the past few years has been the catering. Overpriced vans outside grounds selling shite burgers and grotdogs (the exception being Porky Pigs and the Caribbean guy at Old Trafford and the Gazza burgers up at Boro, a burger with Donner meat, heaven on a bun.)
Going to NWCL games has opened a whole new chapter in football cuisine, the humble pie. Now having an aversion to all things Wigan, this may surprise people but ohhh I love a good pie me, and I have found some belters this season.
The season got off to a blinding start at Leek, with a fantastic pie, pea and gravy combination that only cost around £1.50. It may have pissed down, I may have had my jeans stuck to my legs, but I consumed a king pie.
Northwich also threw up a pie/peas combo, which whilst good, was more expensive and served from one of those burger vans, thus ruining the whole ambiance of food being consumed. The pies at Accrington also suffered from this blight as well.
Chorley was another fantasic pie and pea day, helped on its way by the copius amounts of alcohol that was taken on board. The only problem here was the runny peas which ended up on the front of the Henri Lloyd (though no one bothered to tell me)
In fact the worst pieage moments have been at Gigg Lane, a luke warm Balti effort, and at Bloomfield Road, a cack meat and pot effort, and both at league grounds. Coincidence? I think not.
So the award for pie of the season goes to..........de de deeeeee.....Leek CSOB for their opening day pie and peas.
Yum yum.

4 Comments:

Blogger Toast said...

I thought oldhams pies deserved a shout - on a pretty miserable night, those pies and the kestrel* in the mainstand - were all that lifted my spirits



*plastic pigeon worrier, not cans of pissy weak lager

12:26 am  
Blogger Steven Wood said...

I wasn't keen on the pies there, though to be honest I had forgotten about them

12:29 am  
Blogger Sam said...

Not enough Cheese and Onion available in my opinion. Who do these carnivore food facsists think they are?

6:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree, Leek pies were fookin mint.

10:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home